When considering professional teeth whitening services dentists offer, weighing both the advantages and disadvantages is important. After all, there are hundreds of at-home teeth whitening products of all different varieties. From charcoal brushing powders, whitening strips, thousands of whitening toothpastes, and many others, does it pay to go to the dentist for teeth whitening services? What can the dentist do that your at-home options cannot? Let’s take a look.
Pros of Professional Teeth Whitening
- Effectiveness: Professional teeth whitening treatments are highly effective. Dentists use more potent bleaching agents than over-the-counter ones, leading to more significant and faster results. So, generally, the materials used in a dentist’s chair will be more effective than at-home remedies.
- Customized Treatment:Dentists can tailor the treatment to individual needs. Factors like the degree of staining and tooth sensitivity are considered, ensuring a personalized approach that over-the-counter products cannot offer. There is no “one size fits all” in oral care; the same goes for levels of stains or discoloration from patient to patient. Your dentist will create a treatment plan specifically tailored to your needs.
- Safety: Under the supervision of a dentist, teeth whitening is safer. Dentists can protect gums and the rest of the mouth from the effects of bleaching agents, reducing the risk of irritation and burns. People often overuse home whitening products, like charcoal powders, which are abrasive and can scrape off enamel and wear down gums if not used properly.
- Long-lasting Results: Professional treatments often yield longer-lasting results compared to DIY kits. With proper care, the effects can last for years.
- Professional Oversight: Having a dental expert oversee the process means any complications or issues can be promptly addressed. They can also advise on post-treatment care and maintenance.
Beyond the whitening, the dentist can discuss your lifestyle and daily consumption of foods, alcohol, smoking, or other factors causing tooth discoloration.
Cons of Professional Teeth Whitening
- Cost: Professional whitening services are more expensive than at-home kits. The cost can be a significant factor for many people. While a simple whitening toothpaste or whitening strips can usually run no more than $20, going to the dentist will run over $100-200, if not more.
- Tooth Sensitivity: Despite precautions, some patients may experience increased tooth sensitivity post-treatment. This side effect is usually temporary but can be uncomfortable. Home whitening kits can create sensitivity, but at a lower level than with your dentist; this could play a role in how you decide to have your teeth whitened.
- Not Suitable for Everyone: Professional whitening is not appropriate for all individuals. Those with dental restorations, sensitive teeth, or specific oral health issues may not be good candidates. There is also budgeting to consider, as these procedures cost more than purchasing something at the pharmacy.
- Time Commitment: Professional whitening requires appointments and possibly multiple sessions. This time commitment can be inconvenient for some people. You must be consistent (both for whitening in the office or at home), but professional teeth whitening may require at least 3-5 different visits, which means more time and cost.
- Risk of Overuse: Patients might be tempted to undergo frequent treatments for better or quicker results, which can lead to tooth enamel damage over time. A good dentist will not push for these when your teeth and gums need rest. But dentists you don’t know or who are just out to fill the seat may recommend too many when it can damage your teeth. Be sure you’re working with a trustworthy and experienced dentist.
Verdict: Know Your Teeth Whitening Needs
Professional teeth whitening services offer a reliable and effective way to brighten your smile under the supervision of a dental expert. However, it’s essential to consider factors like cost, suitability, and potential side effects. Consulting with a dentist before proceeding can help you make an informed decision based on your individual oral health and cosmetic needs.
For the best Teeth Whitening Dentist in Coney Island NY, look no further than at ConeyIslandDental.com, and over 40 years of local expertise. We only offer what you need and will never recommend a treatment plan that doesn’t match your expectations and budget.